March 10, 2010
Building characters is an integral part of any novel. They are the main ingredients that make up the key elements of the story.
The character can be of any gender and age but its placement, timeliness in the plot can make the story dramatic, energetic or just a drag. Often novels hit the bestsellers list because a certain character’s trait touched their hearts. Stories always don’t have to be non-fiction to drive home a message or create empathy among the readers.
Fiction stories too can create the same impact and at times a better impression if the hero of the story has total command over the other secondary characters. He should be able to control the readers mind and their reading speed.
We can take examples from various writers who have successfully created genre heroes that have become eternal classics. My all time favorite characters or heroes are Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Perry Mason by Erle Stanley Gardener, Hercule Poirot by Dame Agatha Christe and Alex Delaware by Jonathan Kellerman.
So what makes the character of the hero so special that it takes the reader’s consciousness to the next level? Developing the hero’s character depends on a number of factors.
1) The theme of the novel.
2) The purpose of the hero in the story. What is the hero supposed to do? Save the love of his life or destroy a virus?
3) Are there any shades within the hero’s character? Is he always a good Samaritan or just pretending to be one? The hero could turn into a villain too.
4) The reason behind the hero’s actions.
5) What is the hero’s personal gain from his actions?
6) Will he achieve it in one shot? What are the obstacles standing in his path?
7) Will there be a happy ending or will he face a heroic death?
These are some of the basic questions that a writer should think of before thinking about what attributes the hero’s personality should possess.
A good way to build a hero’s personality in the story is to watch the most loved television actors. I am fascinated by the character played by David Caruso in CSI Miami that airs on CBS in US and AXN in India. The character of Horatio Caine has a cult following. His unique expressions, style of talking, the flick of his sunglass, his walking in and out of the frame is simply amazing.
The following video gives a better idea of what I am talking about.
The uniqueness that is needed to be created to build a hero’s personality is a tremendous job. If more attention is paid into building this character then even a simple everyday plot can be spiced up by giving it its own subtle touch.
Building a hero for your story is no cakewalk. You need to develop a mental picture of him or her and refine their movements, accents, features and adorn them with a solid background that influences their very being. The hero’s character can be larger than life as in the case of Horatio Caine yet it is easily identifiable and adored by people of all ages across continents.
©Nayna , 2007-2010. All Rights Reserved.
March 1, 2010
We all would love to travel given an opportunity, with an unending supply of money, without a care in the world for anyone’s feelings or responsibilities. Unfortunately, not all of us have been entitled to this kind of luxury and good fortune.
Earning a decent income, fulfilling the basic requirements, managing a family takes a toll from the one source of income. Saving from that income to go for a luxurious vacation is unimaginable. But the desire to go for a holiday still lingers and that has given rise to alternate means of traveling.
Budget travel to Europe has gained a lot of popularity in recent times. While budget travel to India too has its charm but most international visitors tend to be skeptical. Backpacking is also an alternate way to travel if you have an adventurous bone in your body.
A lot of budget travel magazines offer a variety of destinations with exciting offers. Budget airlines, budget hotels and budget travel online websites surely lure a lot of stressed customers but the key is to find the right one.
Many people get cheated each year when they land at the destination and find out that things are not what it seems to be. What was shown in the brochure was not a reality and at times it is impossible to get a refund of the money.
Budget Travel Tips
1) Find out the background of the tour operator and their operation procedure.
2) Check with reviews online about the company and the number of happy customers.
3) Read about the destination that you wish to travel. If the package tour operator is taking you off season at a low price, understand what the reasons are. Most of the time, they plan winter packages which is not always a feasible option. You could be stranded at the airport due to bad weather and will lose out on days of the tour.
4) Always have a backup option if the tour operator has decided to call it quits. Surviving in a new city with strangers and not speaking the language can be difficult. Running out of money or political events can also pose a grave danger especially if you are traveling alone or accompanied with children.
5) Compare the prices and benefits of every budget holiday plan that a tour operator offers.
6) You may not always require a tour package to enjoy a budget holiday. You can use their facilities to get the visa done and book your flight but the hotel stay and sightseeing can be done on your own. For that a little bit of time should be taken to research and gather relevant information.
We all want to take a break from our mundane, hectic life but selecting the right means to enjoy the vacation within a limited budget is most crucial. A holiday should not be a nightmare but a journey to be cherished and shared with your loved ones.
©Nayna, 2007-2010. All Rights Reserved.