May 8, 2010
Today marks the third year of my blog, An Abyss Of Imagination, Creativity Unleashed. Anniversary celebrations are always nostalgic whether it is a celebration of a romantic relationship, marriage or a blog. The attachment to something you love and are passionate about always surfaces with a surge of uncontrollable emotions.
The mind automatically transmigrates to that minute in time when blogging was a trend which everyone had to try it out once to experience it. The hesitation of -”Should I do it? What would I call it? I don’t want to sound too cheesy. Will anyone come to read my blog? “
These questions flooded my mind always. But the bold step was taken and the name was coined in.
An Abyss Of Imagination is a bottomless pit of knowledge where every kind of information is welcome. It is written with the understanding of spreading knowledge, creating awareness and entertaining. It is not all vanity but aimed at creating a lasting impression. Quenching the thirst for knowledge which no one will answer has always been the goal of this blog. The bold, direct approach in my writing style is to enhance the thought process of every reader.
Of course, I get bombarded with negative comments but I take it in my stride and forgive them because of their ignorance. Not everyone can take in the truth and not everyone is willing to change for good. But my aim is to expand the knowledge and guide those who think about “progress” whether it is related to health, fitness or spiritualism. Some readers have been very kind and written notes of encouragement. Many have valued my opinions and imbibed my responses in their daily living.
I expect anniversary presents from the readers in form of on-going readership, helpful pointers and encouraging comments. This will fuel my passion further and I intend to continue this quest of writing for this Abyss Of Imagination, Creativity Unleashed until my last breathe.
Thank you for your best wishes and support.
March 10, 2010
Building characters is an integral part of any novel. They are the main ingredients that make up the key elements of the story.
The character can be of any gender and age but its placement, timeliness in the plot can make the story dramatic, energetic or just a drag. Often novels hit the bestsellers list because a certain character’s trait touched their hearts. Stories always don’t have to be non-fiction to drive home a message or create empathy among the readers.
Fiction stories too can create the same impact and at times a better impression if the hero of the story has total command over the other secondary characters. He should be able to control the readers mind and their reading speed.
We can take examples from various writers who have successfully created genre heroes that have become eternal classics. My all time favorite characters or heroes are Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Perry Mason by Erle Stanley Gardener, Hercule Poirot by Dame Agatha Christe and Alex Delaware by Jonathan Kellerman.
So what makes the character of the hero so special that it takes the reader’s consciousness to the next level? Developing the hero’s character depends on a number of factors.
1) The theme of the novel.
2) The purpose of the hero in the story. What is the hero supposed to do? Save the love of his life or destroy a virus?
3) Are there any shades within the hero’s character? Is he always a good Samaritan or just pretending to be one? The hero could turn into a villain too.
4) The reason behind the hero’s actions.
5) What is the hero’s personal gain from his actions?
6) Will he achieve it in one shot? What are the obstacles standing in his path?
7) Will there be a happy ending or will he face a heroic death?
These are some of the basic questions that a writer should think of before thinking about what attributes the hero’s personality should possess.
A good way to build a hero’s personality in the story is to watch the most loved television actors. I am fascinated by the character played by David Caruso in CSI Miami that airs on CBS in US and AXN in India. The character of Horatio Caine has a cult following. His unique expressions, style of talking, the flick of his sunglass, his walking in and out of the frame is simply amazing.
The following video gives a better idea of what I am talking about.
The uniqueness that is needed to be created to build a hero’s personality is a tremendous job. If more attention is paid into building this character then even a simple everyday plot can be spiced up by giving it its own subtle touch.
Building a hero for your story is no cakewalk. You need to develop a mental picture of him or her and refine their movements, accents, features and adorn them with a solid background that influences their very being. The hero’s character can be larger than life as in the case of Horatio Caine yet it is easily identifiable and adored by people of all ages across continents.
©Nayna , 2007-2010. All Rights Reserved.
January 6, 2010
Well, here is another new year-2010. Yes, it came along whether we wanted it or not. Some of us don’t really care much about the changing of the year. The calendar with its pages is an ornament that needs to be kept on the desk or hung on the wall. Its pages need changing just like any other product needs maintenance.
Sounds depressing doesn’t it?
After the New Year’s party and the hype, dawns the realization of a new beginning. Many people are afraid of new beginnings. They are uncertain of their future, their dealings with people, monetary standing for the whole year and their family’s welfare. While there are others who can’t wait to start the New Year because they have a new job, marry the girl of their dreams, shift to a new country and start a new family.
So where do you fit in? With those who are unsure or those who are raring to go?
No matter where you fit in or don’t fit in, you have to focus on the life that has been given to you. Value your health, be grateful to your family, be thankful to the blessings from your elders and never forget the power behind the grace of God.
1) Goals don’t have to be amazingly different that your friends should be in awe when they hear about it. Whether you plan your goal to lose five pounds or stay clear of sodas this year, make sure you stick to it.
2) Maintain a diary to keep a track of your thoughts. Always write down the reason behind your goals. This only makes you stronger and keeps the motivation levels high.
3) Avoid discussing your goals with anyone. Sometimes, friends and colleagues can be jealous to hear about your ambitions. They can hamper your progress or your drive to achieve. Negative comments from them can make your waiver from your goals.
4) Make your goals realistic.
5) Focus on the goals and see how best you can achieve it.
6) Give yourself a time frame to achieve the goal. If you don’t take a tough stand, you will think, “It’s just January, I have the whole year ahead. I will make it happen later.”
7) Multiple goals should be listed so that if one goal is taking time to complete then you shouldn’t lose hope and give up on your other dreams. If you have more than one goal to achieve like getting a promotion, quit smoking, getting leaner or finding a life partner then achieving one of them within few months can really boost your self-esteem. You will feel more inclined to achieve the rest of your objectives.
8) Let no one come in the way of your goals.
9) No emotional blackmail or commitments should make you deter from your path. Make sure you do everything possible to make your own life secure and happy.
10) Don’t count on people no matter how close they are to you. In the end, always remember each man for himself or herself.
The New Year is here for a reason. Take every opportunity to make sure you are able to keep yourself happy, safe, secure and stress free.
©Nayna 2007-2010. All Rights Reserved.