February 20, 2010
In this age of fitness and weight loss management, most people stop eating essential foods which are meant for the well being of the growth and development of the body.
Alas, if only people knew the importance of certain foods that may contain few more calories than steamed vegetables. But most prefer the high end calories of cheese burgers, fries and a large glass of soda. Sometimes just the sight of nuts turns dieters away. Nuts are the richest source of vitamins and have been available in nature for the enhancement of mankind.
Fistful of assorted nuts on a daily bases can eradicate the need of taking a vitamin pill. Anything eaten naturally is more beneficial that processed protein or fiber. A sneak peek to the world of nuts is as follows.
1) Almonds: They are the best natural form of antioxidants. It is best to eat it with its skin. It is rich in protein, vitamin B and E. It contains mono saturated fats which actually work to reduce cholesterol. It helps to keep skin radiant and healthy.
2) Brazil Nut: This too has similar benefits like the almond. But its specialty is that it contains a lot more percentage of selenium which helps to keep off a wide variety of cancer including breast and prostate cancer.
3) Cashew: This is the most common and well loved nut. People usually like to eat their cashew in the form of salted, roasted or sweetened. This should be avoided. Cashew should be enjoyed plain for its high nutritional benefits. It has immense percentage of iron and magnesium which helps to combat osteoporosis. Besides, it helps to reduce blood pressure, severity of asthma and works on the overall immune system.
4) Chestnut: These come in various varieties. There are the American chestnut, the European chestnut, Chinese and the Japanese chestnut. They are a rich source of protein, carbohydrates, calcium and potassium.
5) Hazelnut: These nuts are more memorable when they are dipped in chocolate. I am sure you agree with me. But these should be enjoyed as they are without any sugar coating or frostings. It contains a lot of Vitamin E that is why its extracts are used in body creams and lotions to soften skin. It is a rich source of all forms of vitamin B mainly B1, B2, B6 along with iron, zinc, calcium and potassium. It helps to maintain strong and healthy bones and teeth.
6) Pistachio: This nut is only remembered as ice cream toppings but truly this nut is not given sufficient credit for its enriching properties. It contains fiber, protein, iron and magnesium. They too like hazelnuts are vital source of vitamin E.
7) Peanut: Peanuts are most popular nuts and known to everyone worldwide. These nuts are truly magical because they work wonders in filling up a growling stomach. This nut energizes the body rapidly and prevents muscle fatigue. They are highly rich in proteins and vitamin B.
8) Walnut: This nut is known as brain food. Indeed, they resemble the brain in appearance and work wonders to control cholesterol. Arthritis, psoriasis, eczema and asthma patients get relief to some extent with the consumption of walnuts as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
9) Coconut: The largest of all nuts is the coconut. Every part of this nut is widely used and has been discussed in detail in our previous post – Coconut Water Benefits Every Lifestyle. Coconuts are a rich source of calcium and iron.
Everything in moderation is good for living. Similarly eating nuts in limited and monitored quantities is extremely beneficial to the body.
©Nayna, 2007-2010. All Rights Reserved.