Rice Lovers Delight
September 7, 2007
Rice is a staple diet in many countries. It is not just an accompaniment with curries but a variety of sweet dishes are prepared from it. Wraps and tortillas are also made with rice flour.
There are many grades and varieties of rice. Here are some of them:
1) Basmati Rice: This name is known worldwide. They come in different categories and priced accordingly. They are available in long grain and broken type as well. People relish eating this rice because of its aroma. Basmati rice adds a tantalizing taste to Indian cuisine like Biryani, Pulao and in Kheer.
2) Risotto Rice: This is the famous Italian rice. Its uniqueness lies in the grain which has a dot in its centre. Their smooth polished kernel gives a creamy texture to the dish.
3) Jasmine Rice: Jasmine rice is popular because of its fragrance. This aromatic rice is commonly grown in Thailand and served in most Pan Asian cuisines.
4) Brown Rice: This rice is very nutritious. It is unpolished and so retains the brown color. Its texture is not as soft and smooth like polished rice.
5) Wild Rice: This is more of a grain than rice. It is popular in European and Far Eastern cuisine. It is brownish black in color and has a grisly texture. It emits a smoky flavor when consumed.
6) Chinese Black Rice: Unlike its name, it is not really black in color but a bit purplish. It has a nutty flavor and used popularly in Chinese gourmet.
These are some of the most popularly known rice which is relished in various global cuisines. One can experiment with these and try eating them with their various food combinations.
©Nayna, 2007. All Rights Reserved.