January 26, 2010
Are you afraid to take off your footwear in the presence of other people? Are troubled that your foot odor will repel your girlfriend away?
Stinky feet are always embarrassing. A lot of people mask this odor by spraying deodorants but this is only temporary. There are many causes for smelly feet. But here are some simple home remedies that can be tried out.
1) Wash your feet regularly in warm water and dry it thoroughly, especially between the toes.
2) Change your socks regularly. Sweaty socks after a workout can emit bad odor.
3) Use foot powder especially designed to combat smelly feet.
4) Use a foot scrubber as often as possible to get rid of dry and dead skin cells.
5) Apply a light, moisturizing foot cream before bedtime. This will heal any cuts, cracks and calluses that could be emitting the stinky odor.
6) Air your shoes. Most of the time, after a run or workout at the gym, we pack the shoes back into the shoe closet or cabinet. The bacteria present in the sweat remain in the membranes of the shoe and develop huge colonies of bacteria. These bacteria then work on your feet when you wear the shoes again. The best way to tackle this is to air the shoes.
Leave the shoes in bright sunlight for a day to kill the germs. Also, wash your shoes every month to keep it free from grim and infections. Most sports shoes have washing instructions written on them. If you are too pressed for time, then just soak the shoes in warm sudsy water for couple of hours then wash it under running water and leave it out to dry in the sun.
7) Foot psoriasis can cause terrible foot odor. If such is the case then you should consult a skin specialist or dermatologist at the earliest. These tend to spread so immediate action should be taken. Using ointments over the counter for foot psoriasis is not advisable. It is most essential to get a consultation from a specialist.
8) Many people soak their feet in tannin water to curb smelly feet. Tannin is present in tea. It is said that tannin deactivates the sweat glands of the feet. Brew about two tea bags in around two cups of water for fifteen minutes. Add some amount of plain water to make the temperature ambient and comfortable so that you can soak your feet in it. Allow your feet to relax in this water for around thirty minutes.
Smelly feet can cause discomfort and embarrassment in relationships. Foot care is essential and feet should be well-maintained at all times. Pedicure could be done at home or at salons minimum once a month. Maintaining healthy feet is as important as taking care of your diet or hair care. If nothing helps to curb foot odor then head straight to the doctor’s office.
©Nayna, 2007-2010. All Rights Reserved.